Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thinking Outside The Box


The Elf Tree I decorated in 2003 

Yesterday I was cleaning up some old stuff lying around and I happened across this magazine dated 2003.  In this magazine were  some pictures and a feature on a business where I worked for many years.  This particular photograph, was from that article and was taken at a wonderful little Christmas store located in Ontario, Canada.  Years ago, my Grandmother took me to this very same store.  The store was magical.  I watched as she purchased some lovely rose coloured birds and the most beautiful small rose coloured fans.  Like the fans you would wave in front of your face to cool off, but much smaller.  The ones my Grandmother purchased, were pleated and covered in the prettiest tiny beads and had the most gorgeous ribbon.  Oh my, I'm a little "Verklempt" right now, sorry!  I was caught up in the moment.  Ahhhhh, the memories! Anyways, who would have thought, many years later, I would work at that same store.  I loved it.  It was all about Christmas and was only open for the Holiday Season.  One of my main responsibilities each year was to set up and fully decorate approximately 22 of the large Christmas trees.  We also had smaller coordinating trees at 2, 3 and 4 feet.  I worked with many different colour schemes, styles and products.  The trees ranged from 6 feet to 9 feet tall.  Some were called full trees and others were called slim trees. The difference being the width around the trees.  As you can see, the tree in the picture was a full tree.  It was decorated in the traditional red and green and was designed with an Elf theme.  Unfortunately, the picture really didn't do this particular tree any justice but you get the idea.  Over the many years I've decorated trees with such unique items as mirrors, tea cups, shoes, picture frames and feathers just to name a few.  All these items were incorporated with the usual decorations which made each and every tree very interesting but beautiful all the same.  The purpose of using these items on the trees was to merchandise as many different products as possible and at the same time, show some imagination.  Sometimes thinking outside the box is a great thing.