Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cherry Season

....and WOYWW 113

You might be asking yourself what these two things have in common.  If you can bear with me you'll find out and to help understand a few things, I've provided a bit of a background.

Growing season

Cherries have a very short growing season and can grow in most temperate latitudes. The peak season for cherries is in the summer. In Australia, they are usually at their peak around Christmas time, in southern Europe in June, in North America in June, in south British Columbia (Canada) in July to mid August, and in the UK in mid July. In many parts of North America, they are among the first tree fruits to ripen.

Cherry pit spitting

Cherry pit spitting is the act of spitting, or ejecting, the pit (the seed) of a cherry from one's mouth with great speed so as to send the pit a great distance. Spitting cherry pits is an amateur sport; there are no professional leagues of cherry spitters known, though this may change if enough people begin participating in this sport.

Now that you know slightly more about cherries and the spitting of same, it brings us all to the purpose of the information.  It would appear that our much admired hostess of WOYWW Julia has earned some bragging rights to a Cherry stone (pit) spitting competition.  Seems she beat her friend who also had some big Hawaii bragging rights going on herself.  You'll definitely want to pop over to the Stamping Ground to find out more on this and other amazing things that keep people busy around the globe.  You'll be surprised at some of the talent!

I think this is where I show you my own bragging bits today because I may have had to work a little harder than they did spitting pits.  Maybe not though....it must be tough sending that pit flying at super speeds from only the power of ones mouth.  Kinda sounds like fun though, doesn't it?  To think I only had to pound some pavement to get my reward.  Has anyone recently tried to find those CD cases that we all love to store our unmounted stamps in?  They were really hard to find.  I went to every store I could think of to find them and all the stores seem to sell right now are the slim cases.  The slim cases don't work because like the package says....they're slim.  I'm glad to report after all my efforts, I found them.  Where did I find them?  Hello.....the dollar store!  Yup, 3 to a package for a $1.25.  I know, I know....$1.25 at the dollar store, doesn't make sense but that was the price.



So there you have my desk and my empty CD cases that I will take apart and fill with stamps.  As you can see I purchased a few.

Wherever you are in your day, I hope you're enjoying it!
Wishing you many wonderful creations.

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Oh how organised. I really need to sort my stamps out at the moment some are in a basket and the others...well your guess is as good as mine LOL

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I love cherries! :) Great find in a dollar store. Happy WOYWW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love cherries and they are most delicious during their short season here. Have fun putting all your stamps in the cases:)
    Just noticed that according to FEEDJIT I live in Bridgewater, which I don't lol and it's not even the right county!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger's being very mean and won't show any pictures, but I love cherries Used to eat them straight off the tree as a child. Happy WOYWW
    (Lyn)

    ReplyDelete
  5. another Cherry lover here! red are my fave!
    Thanks for sharing
    :-D
    Lisa
    #59

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I just may have the bragging rights for Missouri Cherries. Just love those little fruits.

    I have considered removing my unmounteds from binders to cd cases but I am not sure I could find a particular stamp as easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find there tho until recently I had a load of them which I got rid of as I had no use! Doh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post. Love cherries and great to learn new facts about them - might be time to get into training for the cherry stone spitting contests, I'm sadly out of practice:) I've been finding it difficult to track down the right size of CD cases too - what's with all these slim ones, they're too fragile anyway. Elizabeth x #73

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, that might have solved my stamp storage musings/indecision after all! Hmm, just need to let go of my fireman and go find some CD storage cases :)) Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post... fun read... just wait until I get more cherries!
    JoZarty x

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the Peek and the story... Glad you found your CD cases.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you are a funny one! I love the cherry info! Red please! I had a rummage onthe grass yesterday to find the pits JUST in case they decide to grow - gone. Guess the birdies took 'em or I've over estimated the spit distance!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi dear Crafty, well I must be going slightly nuts! as was sure left a comment the other day but maybe yours was the blog where the comment went AWOL cant quite remember will have another try..we did watermelon pip sitting comps as kinds from our verandah into the bulrushes swamp next door to us..ah the memories..thanks for popping over Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL - that's funny! Not that all us Brits spit cherry pips for fun, though! Great card you've done there - I love House Mouse.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

My wonderful comments