Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Just Add Water

I've decided to mix it up today and do something a little different.  My only wish here was that I owned a spiffy camera that takes really good pictures because the ones I'm about to show you really don't do this project any justice.  You'll just have to trust me on this one!

Let's begin!!


If you'll notice here I'm using clear containers, very important for this project to work properly.  I have one container that is tall and narrow and a shorter, wider container but don't be afraid to use whatever you have.  Round, square, tall, short, wide, doesn't matter.  It all depends on what you have and the look you are trying to achieve.  There are some really great acrylic containers out there in various shapes and sizes as well.   Anything will do as long as it is clear and you have an imagination.

The second item you're going to need is cello wrap.  Your cello wrap can be clear, coloured or patterned any and all will work, whichever you use depends on the look you want.

Believe it or not.....just those two things I've mentioned above will work entirely on their own. 
All you need to do is add water!



Here is the taller of the two vases, I used the clear cello and just added water.  Neat eh?  This makes for a lovely added touch to what can become a very interesting and unique statement to any occasion.

First, I cut two strips of cello approx. 8" wide and 30" long.  The stores sell various lengths and I believe 24" is pretty standard, not to worry though because the length isn't important and 30" was what I had at home.  You'll need to adjust the amount of cello used based on the container used and you'll see how easy it is to adjust.



 I begin by pleating up the cello in my hand. 


I place the cello in the container and get it right down to the bottom.


I take the second piece of cello doing the same and adding it on top of the first piece.


Making sure the two pieces are in there with no space between them and the top of the cello is folder over so the end is not sticking up, I add water


It's really a stunning look!  Oh man, I really want that spiffy camera!

So, here is where your imagination comes in, there are so many options to make this project your own.

For this look, I've taken out a bit of water and using skewers gently pushed down the cello, added a clear glass votive and tea light.  This looks awesome in a group or on it's own.  Use different shapes and sizes of containers and group in 3's or 5's for an amazing centerpiece.  Use different coloured tea lights or cello.  Food colouring in the water.  ***SPOILER*** Add different items with the cello (can't wait until Christmas to show you some festive ideas).

For this look I've kept the cello near the top, added water close to the rim and placed a large tea light that is in a silver container on top, this tea light will burn for between 5 and 8 hours.  Keep this is mind when entertaining, you don't want to be fussing with candles. 



This is the shorter, wider vase with balloon printed cello and same votive and tea light added.

This is fun for birthday parties or celebrations.  As with any items containing glass, flames etc. caution is necessary not only in the creating but usage as well. 
These are only a couple of ideas when using cello, containers and water.  I've added balloons on sticks to these vases, flowers or just one floating on top just to name a few.  Stamp your own pattern on clear cello using appropriate inks.
I'd love to see what wonderful ideas you come up with. 

Wherever you are in your day, I hope you're enjoying it!
Wishing you many wonderful creations.
Thanks for visiting

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Wow realy nice effect...:) :) I love it.
    http://guyloucreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea. The effects are stunning and I can think of so many occasions when these would be perfect - thank you for sharing.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. great project! i just had to find out what you were up to when i visited your WOYWW post. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very effective. Thanks for sharing with us. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete

My wonderful comments