Thursday, September 29, 2011

Glitter ....

....Aqua White and Glitter is the Lili of the Valley Challenge this week and it ends today.  I think with the time difference, I'm just going to get my entry in - in time!

Glitter!

Glitter is used in craft projects, especially for children, because of the brilliant effects which can be achieved relatively easily. Glitter is used as an element of decorations, and can be added to rubbers and plastics. It is also often put into cosmetic products like lip gloss and eyeshadow. Glittery cosmetics are popular with youth, but are also worn by adults.
Glitter was invented by Henry Ruschmann.  Accounts conflict as to when glitter was invented—some say 1934 and others shortly after World War II.
The word "glitter" is often used euphemistically to refer to brilliantly gorgeous but superficial glamour. From this meaning comes the term glitterati to refer to pop stars and socialites. The word is derived from "glitter" and "literati".

Who doesn't love to use glitter?  I'm sure there are many people out there cos that %#$& (that's a swear, sorry) ....gets everywhere.  You bring that stuff out and let me tell you, you're seeing it for days.  I'm sure you all know that anyways though.  I have to say that I really do like it and I love what it does to my cards.  All that being said, it is only one of the three things Lili of the Valley wants to see on our cards but I felt it needed a little extra mention today.

Here is my entry....

This stamp is a recent addition to my Lili of the Valley collection, I think she's so sweet.  Pretty Poinsettia is the name of this image.

To embellish this card I used a variety of punches and here is a close up of the detail.



In this picture, I wanted to show you a new product I picked up.  See the puffy snow?  It's called Snow Writer by DecoArt.  I love it.  Once I applied the snow to the card I added glitter to it and it turned out amazing.  I was really happy with the results.  It's great on its own without the glitter too, it has a matt finish to it.

I purchased mine at Michaels but I've added the link above for on-line purchases should you be interested.

Well, I hope you like my card and maybe learned a little more about glitter ...other than it gets everywhere.

The items I used to create my card.

Card 5" X 6 1/2"
Paper - Christmas stack of 6 X 6 designer papers (blog candy win) and for the leaves I used green cardstock scraps.
Stamps - Lili of the Valley for both image and sentiment
Ink - Tim Holtz Broken China Distress Ink
Accessories - Spellbinders Nestabilities Lacey Circles, Martha Stewart Stamp and Punch Pack for the flowers and snowflakes, Martha Stewart leaf and flower punches, Tim Holtz Flourish Die, Copic markers, 1 3/4" and 2" circle punches, Aqua rhinestones, Dazzling Diamonds glitter from Stampin Up, and Snow Writer from DecoArt.

Edit - Missed the challenge by 21 minutes - Argh!

Wherever you are in your day, I hope you're enjoying it!
Wishing you many wonderful creations



Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Hi There, fantastic card, good luck with your entry and yes you're talking to the converted over here. I've loved glitter in all it's forms since I was a little girl and that's quite a long time ago, LOL There is a new glitter on the block it's called mica flakes and over here there is a company selling it in different colours, bronze, gold and silver (which is like diamonds I'm told), yummy!! Saw it today for the first time I can't wait to get hold of some, giggle:0)Thank for the info I certainly didn't know who invenvted glitter, well done that man:0)
    Thanks Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame you missed the challenge as this is a really beautiful card.

    I must try my snow writer as the effect you have achieved is brill.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I just noticed you missed the challenge, sorry:{ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to comment last night and Mr Blogger was being mean :( I do love this card, and the colours, glitter, image - whew, it's all terrific! I've found a source of Snow Writers over here by just Googling - tee, hee, and you're to blame!! More LOTV cards please - you have a real flair for them without going totally OTT. Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rotten shame to miss that challenge with such a lovely card. It has a real oldy worldy look about it. As far as the brayer is concerned, it was just a case of watching Barbara Gray endlessly and trying her tips, which work. I have used the brayer on silk ark card, watercolour paper and cheap copy paper - it is just practice and learning the tips and tricks. Have a play and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely card and it's a real shame you missed the challenge after all that hard work! At least the recipient will be one happy person when they get it xx

    ReplyDelete

My wonderful comments